What is procrastination? It’s theSadly this is a common experience for many of us. Many times we have wanted to stop procrastinating but we can’t seem to find the motivation to complete an immediate task which has affected us in our daily life and in the pursuit of fulfilling our dreams and destiny.
For example many of us have dreams of starting a business, writing a book, starting a blog…extra… But we have been procrastinating about the ideas that we have been putting them off and finding the many reasons why our dreams, ideas, goals will not come true.
What procrastination does it causes you to be lazy about your dreams that you lose the motivation to implement your ideals because you keep on second guessing yourself and thinking about what would go wrong or if your good enough and you end up putting off or delaying to follow your dreams and do something about it. Procrastination is a danger to your dreams and destiny,
The Bible says in James 1:8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.
This is so true because double mindedness will always cause you to second guess yourself you will never get anything done. You have to let go of the fear of failure because it causes you to procrastinate that you end up not fulfilling your purpose or living your fullest potential.
I have noticed this in my own life, whether it a business idea or writing a blog or writing a book, every time that I have procrastinated I never got anything done..I kept telling myself I will do it next time and the next time became the next day and the next day became the next month…you get the idea!. The struggle was real!! I was tired of it and I decided no more procrastination. So I started to motivate myself and find things that would keep me motivated ( by listening to a podcast,motivating video) to stay creative and present to fulfill the task at hand. As I kept on practicing these tips that I’m going to share with you I found them to be very helpful and they kept away procrastination. Anytime the feeling of procrastination starts to linger around I go through the steps again.
If you have been struggling with procrastination here are 5 tips that will help over come procrastination so you can live your dreams and fulfill your destiny.
- STAY MOTIVATED Staying motivated can be tough even under the best of circumstances. Personally, I struggled with motivation. I’ve fought through major failures, setbacks, upsets, and strings of defeat, one after another. Through it all, staying motivated was hard. But I stayed committed, even though it was hard and I wanted to throw in the towel and give up, I refused to quit and stayed the course and started seeing positive results and God also being so faithful to me. This motivated me even more. This I know with perseverance and never giving up and encouraging yourself, seeking guidance and being motivated by other speakers via audio and video podcasts and most of all with prayer you can stay motivated and achieve all your dreams and fulfill your destiny.
- FOCUS ON YOU MOST IMPORTANT TASKS. You can simplify your list by identifying the tasks that have the biggest impact on your career or dreams or life and do them first thing in the morning. Pick one of the 3 most important tasks that absolutely must be completed by the end of the day. Two should relate to an urgent project with an immediate deadline and one should be part of a long-term goal. When you stay focused you give no room to procrastination.
- GET RID OF EXCUSES Do any of these sound familiar? I don’t know if I’m good enough, maybe next time ,I have to be in a good mood, I will wait till I have more time, I don’t have enough money to start,,,,,STOP IT!!! Be honest with yourself: These are excuses. Sure, it might be nice to ”be in the mood and have enough money” but waiting for that to happen can mean you will never start your project.
- GET RID OF CATASTROPHIZING One of the biggest reasons why we procrastinate is because we catastrophize, or make a huge deal out of something. It may be related to how tough, how boring, or how painful it will be to complete the task; whatever the case, the underlying theme is that doing the task will be “unbearable.” In reality, challenges, boredom, setbacks and hard work will not kill you or even make you sick. Procrastination, on the other hand, is associated with stress. When you stressed you will get sick , physically, emotionally and mentally.You have to stop this cycle.
- BELIEVE YOU CAN AND YOU WILL Always believe in yourself because no-one else will. Be your best cheerleader when it comes to your dreams. Don’t let procrastination robe you of your destiny. you can do anything you put your mind to. You got it in you. Don’t allow any negative energy in your life to clatter your mind. Know that God is on your side and you can do and achieve anything.
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Love Antoinette @theantoinetteshow
Antoinette’s purpose is to inspire and motivate you to pursue your dreams, live a life of purpose and walk into your destiny and win in every area of your life doing it God’s way.